Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Networking - and farewell

Social networking is clearly one of those things that isn't going to go away - and nor, in my opinion, should it. I think it's a great way to keep in touch with people, as well as to reach out with the information you have. It makes sense, then, for libraries to join in and make a space for ourselves.

I enjoyed reading about the different things being done on SecondLife with and by Libraries, though I admit, I can't imagine that kind of thing ever getting of the ground here. I know that libraries in the US, in particular, are larger than ours, with more staff, which probably helps: we just don't have the time, at least in my library. Even doing this course has primarily had to be in my lunch breaks, or whenever I had a few minutes free to scribble some more things down. My branch is already understaffed, and I don't believe that the central library really has it any better - there just isn't time to dedicate to these extras, when we have so much face-to-face to work on. Also, our network infrastructure clearly isn't as good over here: it takes us often ten minutes to download a YouTube clip. There's no way we could do anything on SecondLife without bringing everyone else to a halt, and really doing something nasty to the network.

But if SecondLife is, for the moment, out of the question, that doesn't mean all social networking is. I know we've talked about Facebook and Myspace within my library, and I think these are things we will be pursuing over the next few months or so. There's some talk about letting people search the catalogue through facebook applications, for example, but I think the main point of introducing these things would be for some quick and easy self-advertisement. Book talks, for example, links to interesting resources, or, if we were able to put a little more time into it, maybe even a quick-answer reference service - just basic answers, but still, right there in the middle of Facebook.

Of course, the trouble with this is that our teens in this area are not terribly engaged with the library. They'll come in and use our stuff (sometimes), but they have no interest in really getting involved. And while there are plenty of 20-somethings that also use Facebook and Myspace, and so on, they're equally not as inclined towards getting involved, at least in this way. But maybe if it was available, we could use it to help. I'm a little dubious (I'd only barely be interested in joining this kind of thing, and I actually work for the library), but it's not impossible. Obviously other people have made a go of it, and successfully, too.

I wonder if there would be young adult authors out there willing to do online author talks - question and answer sessions, primarily, I guess, since the medium is best for interaction. There are a lot of authors I know we'd have interest in (I'm thinking people like Anthony Horowitz, for example) that we can't necessarily get out here. That kind of thing might not get them INTO the library, but, at the end of the day, I'm less concerned about getting people in, and more about being of service to them. Hm. I may have to do somet thinking on this.

Anyway, I guess that nicely wraps up the end of this course, for me. I've found it really interesting, even though I did know a bit about a lot of the things we've used before. It was excellent to put them into a library context, instead of a personal user context. I'm not sure, honestly, that we'll be implementing much that we've looked at here, into our library - but that doesn't mean it won't be useful information to share. And, who knows: maybe we'll get more money, one day.

One day.

(Hahahaha. Okay. I know).

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Keep thinking about these ideas.

Ellen