Monday, February 25, 2008

Hello, world!

Despite being a member of ye olde Generation Y, and a pretty big user of technology, there are a few things around that I've always thought about trying out, but never managed. Some of them, it's because I use alternatives (ie instead of using flickr, I have my own gallery software installed on my personal domain), but for others, it's just not yet been something I've needed access to. I've decided to rectify this - and this Learning 2.0 programme is an excellent way to do it (especially because in doing it, I am able to help other co-workers, by providing helpful hints and feedback as we work through this together).

I was delighted to see Stephen Fry feature in the first week of this, as I'm a long time fan of his, and keep up to date with his blog, which focuses a lot on technology (and, in particular, gadgets. Did I mention that I like gadgets almost as much as I like socks?). I'd encourage anyone with this kind of interest to consider reading his blog... or keeping up to date with it through the RSS feed (hah! See, I just made an opening for a future part of this programme). The blog is here, and the RSS feed, for those inclined, is here.

I would be interested in using blogs in a library context, though most I've seen don't actually really capture the audience. We need something that keeps people coming back to read them; most people just want snippets of information, rather than discussions. But I'm sure there are ways to do it. More thought needed!